Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Paula Deen's Shrimp Gumbo Bake

I like to try all of Paula's recipes and let you know how they are........well this was VERY good!
It's a great change from the normal chicken. :-)

Ingredients

Gumbo:

  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 cup finely chopped celery
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons House Seasoning, recipe follows
  • 1 cup chicken or fish stock
  • 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 10-ounce package frozen cut okra
  • 2 cups shrimp, cleaned, peeled, and deveined
  • (This wasn't in the recipe but I added 1 1/2 cups of rice to thicken it up some and it was good that way!)

Topping:

  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 12-ounce package corn muffin mix

Directions

In an iron skillet, saute onion and celery in oil. Add bay leaves, thyme, lemon-pepper seasoning and House Seasoning. Pour in stock and add tomatoes and okra. Cover pot and gently simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in shrimp.

To prepare the topping, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Mix together egg and milk, add to muffin mix, and combine until just well-blended. Drop by tablespoonfuls on top of hot shrimp mixture, leaving the center uncovered. Bake 15 to 20 minutes.

Cook's Note: This Southern dish usually is prepared and served in an iron skillet, but may be cooked in a frying pan with an ovenproof handle.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

14 comments:

Heidi said...

This sounds great. My husband and kids love shrimp and this would be a fast favorite here. To bad grocery day isnt' until the end of the week!! I have yet to meet a Paula recipe I didn't love. Thanks for posting this one :)

Unknown said...

Mmm.. Can't wait to try this one! I love Paula and her recipes. I love the idea of adding the rice. Makes it a complete meal!

Thanks for sharing! I have tried many of your recipes and have really enjoyed them.

nanny said...

Paula's red beans and rice recipe is the best one I've ever had (for red beans and rice) She is awesome!

Wiz said...

This blog has really saved my cooking skills!! I have tried so many recipes and they are great and easy. I am so glad you do this :)

georgiafulenwider said...

I made this tonight!!! Paula Deen, NO butter and still delish!!! My guys loved it, especially my Army boy home for the holidays!!! Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca said...

This looks tasty! I can't wait to try it. We usually add rice to our gumbo too, but we have not made the cornbread topping. We'll give it a try on Sunday during the football games.

Tonia Hobbs said...

I made this tonight and we loved it! Thank you for posting it!

Love with a Latte said...

We had this a couple of nights ago and loved it. We also added the rice! I think I may even try it with pasta. Thanks for sharing!

Karen said...

This sounds delicious! But, living up yonder in the Pacific Northwest, we can't get okra...frozen or otherwise. Would you recommend any other frozen veggie?? Thanks!

Gay Stricklin said...

This is a random question, but are your dishes Mikasa Italian Countryside? They look just like mine! Love your blogs. Happy 2010.

kanishk said...

hanks for posting this one.
sales letter

Laura said...

Karen....you could use chopped fresh green pepper..just cook it with the onion to soften. I'm going to try this, too...yum!

Jenn said...

This recipe is now cooked on a regluar basis at our house! We LOVE it!!! I even double the recipe sometimes and bake it in a 13x9 pan so we'll have leftovers. :)

kanishk said...

Thanks for posting this one
indian classified site