Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Chicken Chow Mein


When I was in college - I would spend a lot of weekends with my grandparents and every time my mam-ma would make me chicken chow mein and her famous chocolate pie. I haven't had that in probably 15 years and all the sudden it's all I can think about. I have been craving it for weeks. My mam-ma passed away several years ago and neither my mom or I could find the recipe but we think this is pretty close.

2 or 3 chicken breasts
1 carrot
1 celery stalk
1 diced red pepper
1 4 oz can of sliced mushrooms (or fresh mushrooms)
1 can water chesnuts
1 can baby corn (I used half the can)
1 can bamboo shoots
Sesame Seed Oil
Soy Sauce
Chow mein noodles or white rice

Boil the chicken breasts. Save the chicken broth. In a large pan - put a tbsp or two of sesame seed oil over medium heat and saute all the vegetables for 10 minutes or so. Cut the chicken into small pieces and add in. Add 2 cups of chicken broth and soy sauce to taste (I added quite a bit). Leave on medium heat and cook another 10 minutes or so. Serve over chow mein noodles. (or white rice if you prefer).

8 comments:

Jess :) said...

Can't wait to make this!! Makes me think of my grandma's recipe, too!!! :) Gotta love those wonderful grandmas (and grandpas)!! They're the best :)

Louisiana Tara said...

Oh my gosh, this looks SOO good. Can't wait to make it!

The Allens said...

Last night I made the Swiss Stuffing Chicken that you made and froze when you were pregnant with Harper. I make it A LOT - it's a go to recipe for me and I have many variations of it now. Thanks!

paula said...

How long do you boil the chicken? I know it cooks later on so I don't want to overcook it but I'm a freak when it comes to cooking chicken so I don't want to undercook it. Thanks! Can't wait to try it!

Muffy said...

Made this the other night & it was SO good! I have been wanting to try it for awhile & finally did...it is now in my normal recipe rotation! Thanks!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I make mine in the crockpot! I LOVE chow mein! Thanks!

Busana Muslim said...

Nice posts, i’m very like it. It’s very helpfull.
KEEP SPIRIT BLOGGING !

john jay said...

oh that was delicious I like that recipe
i love eating that's why im too fat now :)
but most of the time what i eat are any kind of chocolates
like milk chocolate ,French macarons, and macarons london and so on.
well anyway that recipe above is interesting i wanna try that at home.